[Dixielandjazz] Artie Shaw video clip-- can you identifyband-members?

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Sun May 25 04:16:51 PDT 2014

Hi Norman,

IMDB has the following musicians listed:

Artie Shaw and His Orchestra ...

Billy Butterfield...Trumpet Player
Jack Cathcart...Trumpet Player
Leonard Sues...Trumpet Player
George Wendt...Trumpet Player

Vernon Brown...Trombone Player
Jack Jenney...Trombone Player
Buddy Morrow...Musician

Bus Bassey...Tenor Sax Player
Jerry Jerome...Tenor Sax Player
Neely Plumb...Alto Sax Player
Les Robinson...Alto Sax Player

Johnny Guarnieri...Piano Player (& arranger)
Alton Hendrickson...Guitar Player
Jud De Naut...Bass Player
Nick Fatool...Drummer

also

Bobby Hackett ...  musician: trumpet dubber for Fred Astaire
Billy Butterfield ...  musician: trumpet dubber for Burgess Meredith
Perry Botkin Sr. ...  musician

Altho' part of that particular Artie Shaw Orchestra, the Mice (string
section) are not listed.

The film was released in New York in Dec 1940, the rest of US in Jan 1941.

The commercial recording of "Concerto for Clarinet" (Victor 36383) was made
on 17/12/40 with much the same line except Ray Coniff (tmb)replaced Buddy
Morrow.
~~
John D

From: Norman Vickers

This video crossed my screen today. It's clip from a movie in which Artie
Shaw and band perform Concerto for Clarinet.

Nick Fatool is identified as the drummer and I recognize Johnny Guarnieri
performing on piano.  Can some of you jazz historians identify other members
of the orchestra.  Video is less than 4 minutes long.

Thanks.