[Dixielandjazz] Artie Shaw video clip-- can you identify band-members?

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Sat May 24 15:14:09 PDT 2014

To:  DJML & Musicians & Jazzfans list

From: Norman Vickers

This video crossed my screen today. It's clip from a movie in which Artie
Shaw and band perform Concerto for Clarinet.

Nick Fatool is identified as the drummer and I recognize Johnny Guarnieri
performing on piano.  Can some of you jazz historians identify other members
of the orchestra.  Video is less than 4 minutes long.

Thanks.

http://www.30sjazz.com/videos/artie-shaw/concerto-for-clarinet.html

Personal reference:  No doubt many of you have read various comments from
Artie Shaw interviews he gave late in life.  He had definite opinions about
everything.  I got to see him at a Bix Festival late 80s or early 90s.  Rich
Johnson had made arrangement for him to come up and give a talk about his
career.  As I recall, he started off his talk by telling the audience, " You
have to understand that I am a genius."  It was somewhat rambling and
disjointed.  When it came to the Q&A it was obvious that Mr. Shaw was
partially deaf.  He would preface his answer by criticizing the person with
the question implying that he spoke inaudibly or imprecisely.  I wish that
I'd known/seen him when he was younger and in his prime.

Likely many of you have read his book, "The Trouble with Cinderella"  C 1952
and reprinted sometime later.

It's not a definitive biography.  I think the definitive biography is yet to
be written.  Fascinating marital  history-married x8!  ( I think Charlie
Barnett holds the  bandleader-record for number of wives, beating Shaw by at
least a couple of wives)

Norman