[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Thu May 8 06:06:39 PDT 2014

well, so far, in our Life of Louis Armstrong tour of the schools thus
far, which is now 5 elementary schools worth of packed gymnasiums, I'd
have to say our experience is that it doesn't matter what they thought
coming IN to the hall, on the way out they're completely charmed by
the street urchin from Jane (or was it James) Alley.

Of the five schools so far, one had a 'band' of just four girls on
trumpet playing hot cross buns (they opened for us) and another has a
teacher who had singing experience but can't help the kids on
instruments (so my wife volunteers there an hour a week to work with
the kids on brass, percussion and woodwinds), and then the Catholic
school in the video I posted has a band and a jazz band that scores
reasonably well in the music festivals, but the others, so far as I
know, have already lost their programs. It's not just sad, I think
someday they'll look back on their folly and realize that it was
criminal, that it amounted to shooting a whole generation in the foot.
So spreading an awareness of what music is to the children is part of
our crusade!

We've had some great reviews sent in from teachers, but so far the
very best endorsement I've had wasn't from these three who wanted to
sit in, but from a very very young trumpet player, possibly in grade 3
or 4, who came up at the end first to tell his principle that he was
ready, was going to do it, he was ready to play the national anthem at
the start of school the next morning and then he turned to me and said
with a smile, "You've inspired me!" and he trotted off.  That's worth
the price of admission right there :)

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*