[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Thu May 8 03:57:56 PDT 2014

People can get averse to the darnedest things.  But as I've said before,
Louis Armstrong called it 'dixieland' and that's good enough for me -- hard
to argue with West End Blues in anyone's book.

But labels are a marketing thing anyway, not a musicology thing.  Back when
I had my record store, I organized the records by geneology.  Those who'd
been in Ellington's band were tagged by one colour, those who'd played with
Whiteman another, and tried my best to weave a technicolour tapestry right
through the shop tagging from Jelly Roll Morton up through to Anthony
Braxton and Grover Washington (who, with Barry White, would then begat
Kenny G!) The system wasn't perfect, but when someone picked up an LP they
had *some* idea who an unknown might appeal to.  Mostly it was just fun for
me to spend idle time with the label-maker tagging the backing cards.  I
had a wall display where I featured albums in a chronological ordering in a
double-helix with one strand being what I decided was "serious" jazz vs the
other being more the "fun and entertaining" strain. Of course, Louis
Armstrong violated ALL of my clever schemes :(

but given recent discussions, would it be blasphemous of me to suggest we
call it The ORIGINAL Dixieland Jazz Mailing List?  ;)

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*