[Dixielandjazz] FW: How a Swath of 20-Somethings Have Tuned In to 1920sPop | Vanity Fair

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed May 7 10:25:15 PDT 2014

David wrote:
>Interesting article, mostly focused on the "new OKOM" bands in New York.
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2013/08/hot-jazz-new-york

I haven't yet had time to read the whole article, David.  It looks good, but
I was a bit put off by the very beginning where the writer states:

>"It has been called New Orleans jazz, Dixieland (a term that most of the
musicians playing it despise), and most recently, "trad" (short for
"traditional") jazz."

I don't agree with that, and although it has been discussed on this list
over & over, it still remains that we are all "talking" on the Dixieland
Jazz Mailing List! Why has it got to be a dirty word?

The British have been referring to our music as Trad since at least the
60's, so the writer of the article is somewhat misinformed on that one,
also.

Luckily, in Spain, there are no pre-made pidgeon holes for these matters, so
we can rest easy on the subject.

Following is a blurp from our Band Presentation sheet (English Version),
which I feel allows one to refer to our music as they please:

"Dixieland Jazz, New Orleans Jazz, Traditional Jazz, different names for the
same music....a style created in New Orleans and represented in Madrid,
Spain by the CANAL STREET JAZZ BAND during the past 46 years."

Jim