[Dixielandjazz] slow weekend

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat May 3 03:31:28 PDT 2014

As this is traditionally a slow weekend on djml, I'll throw this little
tidbit in...which unfortunately has nothing to do with music, unless someone
wants to whistle the American National Anthem while reading further.

3 of my kids were born in Spain, and now all live in the U.K. (where they
were able to find good jobs).  One of my sons has an 8 month old daughter,
Sofia, who was not able to automatically receive a U.S. citizenship (since
her father was born in Spain & hasn't spent the requisite 5 yrs living in
the U.S).  He is U.S. citizen because I am, but I had to get a certificate
for his citizenship from the U.S. Embassy on his birth, which is not the
same as being born in the U.S.

Eoin went on line & did a lot of research, finding that with a great deal of
paperwork, some fairly big bucks. and a required interview with his complete
family (father/mother/child) in the U.S. that a citizenship could be offered
to little Sofia.

I just heard from my son who travelled to Boston for the meeting, that Sofia
is now a U.S. citizen.  He sent us a photo of her holding a small U.S. flag!
She also has a U.K. passport (right by birth), and has an
Irish/American(Armenian) father and a Colombian/Spanish mother.  That
particular Kashishian family is a small United Nations.

I'm quite proud of my son for his fortitude in following this through for
the future welfare of his daughter.  My kids have European & U.S. passports
allowing them to work in the U.S. or in any country in the European Union.
Sofia now has the same.

Who knows, though, in 20 yrs time, it might have been more advantageous to
try to get her a Chinese passport!   :>

Jim