[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong: Master of Modernism - sleepy time down south

Joe Carbery joe.carbery at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 15:39:41 PDT 2014

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the interesting info re "Sleepy Time." Louis' remark "It's a
pretty song with a beautiful melody" sums up the point I was trying to
make: He played/sang it because he liked it, not, as Brothers maintained,
"to assure white audiences on a
deep level that he had no designs on social progress."
Brothers book strikes me as an example of a work which sets out to "prove"
a pre-conceived idea. Any contrary evidence is rejected (by not being
mentioned) and preposterous interpretations are made of straightforward
statements and acts.

Regards,

Joe Carbery.