[Dixielandjazz] Good jazz & doomsday?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Mar 9 03:07:39 PDT 2014

Oh, my!  The doomsday word again, which will most likely boost the output on
djml for the next few days.  I'm gonna get my word in right away before
everyone gets bored!   :>

Here goes..........

John Blegen wrote:
>One evening I asked him what it had been like to play with Soprano Summit.
"You don't have to cook those guys," he said.  "They cook
themselves.".........

........in answer to my post about "Good Jazz", where I said:
>We usually say it has to swing, but I'd like to add that it has to also be
hot to be good.
Meaning, putting everything you've got into the music during a performance,
and using drive in all the right places.

Then, Marek wrote about young people enjoying jazz in his country, followed
by a "doomsday post" by Louis from the U.S.

I gather that it is much harder in the U.S. to "go out & find the young
audiences" (as Marek suggested) due to the non-blending of age groups I have
seen in places in the U.S. It is probably easier said than done there.

Outside the U.S., in many countries there doesn't seem to be that separation
of ages when "going out on the town".  As I've mentioned many times here
before, I feel very fortunate to be in one of those areas where we
experience audiences ranging from 16 into the 90's, with the emphasise more
on 20 & 30's.

But, if a band is not "cooking", as mentioned, then the kids will be out the
door quick enough, no matter where you are in the world.

I look at each set as "a show", with an aim to a climax & very little lulls.
Entertainment, along with good music is a must.  I don't mean telling jokes,
I'm talking about letting the audience see you yourself are enjoying your
music.

Sitting down front lines (something I just can't fathom!) staring at the
floor between solos, letting minutes flow by while deciding on the next
song, are all no-no's in keeping a young crowd in the door.  I've seen all
these things in a lot of band's clips on YouTube. If it's a physical thing
that keeps you off your feet, then you can always get a stool!  The idea is
to be "up there" in front of the audience.

There is also the problem of noise in the younger crowds who are more
accustomed to shouting over the top of recorded music than listening to live
musicians.  I take it upon myself to "win them over" when these occassions
arrive, and there are various tricks a musician can use for that.  Getting
angry that they aren't listening to you won't do the trick!  Playing a
really, really quiet song will often get attention, and there are many other
ways.

Years ago, I mentioned a fabulous film of a live performance by The Rolling
Stones.  I watched that film at least 5 times, and recommended it to anyone
who performs live on djml.  I never got a single response from anyone on the
list about the film, which is a shame.  Watching that film was a crash
course in how to be an entertainer, which shouldn't be a naughty word for
jazzers if they want to attract younger people.

I don't pretend to have the right recipe for everyone, and apologize if my
post comes off that way.  I just know all the above has worked for our band,
& we are in our 48th year.

Jim