[Dixielandjazz] Are there young audiences to support live jazz?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 14:54:31 PST 2014

Last Wednesday, some friends and I went to hear Eli and the Chocolate
Factory at Hudna, a bar in Jaffa.  I did not realize it at first, but it
was a part of the "Southern Spirit" (or perhaps "Southern Wind," as both
'wind" and "spirit" are a transl;ation of the Hebrew word used) festival.
The bar is split on two sides of the street, with another (hidden) room,
with a separate entry, where nothing is served.  Two other bands appeared
before the azz group, in the ohter loctaions.
Adverised for 10AM, it actually only started at 11:20PM!  Having waited so
long, the friend with whom I came (the others arrived sepatately) already
wanted to go home, since the place was empty.  However, at 11:15, Eli, the
trombonist Amnon and the banjoist Ilan went out, playing, and  returned
about five minutes later, leading, like the Pied Piper of Hamlyn, a swarm
of kids!  A few were swing dancers, so they might have come to dance to the
band - they almost always do - but most were just kida who came for music
more the kids' line, and some were there because they heard that "it was a
good place to hang around and have a drink," as an American speaking kid
explained his being there.  They heard good music and just followed the
players.  Everybocy seemed to have a good time.  This time, by the way,
there were five over 60's in the audience, something unusual for that band,
and one friend was a mer youngster of just over 50 (I guess).
Which brings ne to the conclusion: yong people will go to hear good music
when they are exposed thereto, but bands must go and play where those
audiences are, something long preached on thius list by an ex-listmate
Steve Barbone and by listmate Tom Wiggins (and yours truly).
Cheers