[Dixielandjazz] Kinda quiet

Ron L'Herault lherault at verizon.net
Tue Mar 4 12:00:06 PST 2014

This list has gotten a bit quiet.  I've been looking at the Facebook arm of
it.  Lots of pics, vids but little informational/discussion content.  It's
not a trade off I'm happy with.

So I'll share a bit of news.   As of May, I'll be playing trombone with The
Dixie Diehards, quite a busy sothern Massachusetts band.  I've subbed with
them in the past and am looking forward to playing more with them.

An interesting event is scheduled for the last Friday in March, although it
is not Dixieland.   Dan Gabel and his Abletones are playing at the Imperial
Ballroom in Mendon MA.  The venue has been touting a big band night once a
month but until now has had guitar/vocal based groups more like rock from
what I see in google searches.   I mentioned that fact to Dan and he ran
with the ball.  Good for him.  I'm hoping the turnout is better than for the
other bands but I don't know how well they did.   Dan just presented a
tribute to Vaughn Monroe as part of his senior thesis this week.  Monroe was
a New England based band leader and members of his family attended the
event!

Ron L