[Dixielandjazz] Is "'Round Midnight" really the most recorded song ever?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 2 14:30:10 PST 2014

Norman Vickers wrote:
> This came across my screen.  Lovely rendition of "Round Midnight  by Modern Jazz Quartet.
> I was intrigued to read the statement that "this is the most often recorded ever."
> Does anyone have data to corroborate this statement?

Dear Norman,
A quick 'google' suggests that the most recorded jazz standard was W. C. Handy's "St. Louis Blues" for over 20 years from the 1930s onward, after which Hoagy Carmichael's "Stardust" replaced it.
Today, that place is allegedly held by Johnny Green's "Body and Soul".
The most recorded standard composed by a jazz musician is Thelonious Monk's "'Round Midnight".
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_standard
*Note that the conditional words for "Round Midnight" are "...composed by a jazz musician."
A check of Version 2014 of Tom Lord's 'Jazz Directory' lists about 1610 versions of "Round Midnight/Round about Midnight" from 1945.
"St Louis Blues has 1960
"Stardust" has 1430.
And "Body and Soul" boasts 2170.
Kind regards,