[Dixielandjazz] provocative piano

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sat Mar 1 19:09:33 PST 2014

The Hyman Wurlitzer recordings with Ruby Braff are of course excluded from my reference to "electric stomach" as they date from rather later than the Hyman pop recordings, and I do find a certain irony in the Wurlitzer -- as I recall there was a German film of some years ago with Paganini in the title, nickname of one of the characters. The denouement of the film involved exposure of the fact that the real name of one of the characters was in fact Wurlitzer -- or so I was told, for I missed the last twenty minutes when someone telephoned.

An instrument of enormous proportions, comprehensively equipped with devices to interfere with the making of straightforward music ???

Mine's a merry monochord !