[Dixielandjazz] PD

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Mon Jun 30 03:08:54 PDT 2014

Dear Jack an Listmates,
I was of the belief that PD tunes prior to 1924 were just that.
Public Domain, unless renewed by copyright registration.
>From then on the 50-70 year rule applies and ais nor retrospective anywhere.
My mate, DJMLer Dick Baker, may care to comment.
Kind regards,
Bill.

Dear Bill,

My belief is that pre 1924 (I did think it was pre 1923) compositions were
in the PD in the USA by a federal law, and could not be reregistered.  Let's
hope there is some clarification of this. Of course there is the loophole of
registering an arrangement of an old composition, as King Oliver did with
High Society.

Best wishes
Jack