[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Happy Birthday Jim Cullum Sr

Jim Allen jim.allen at longhornband.net
Sat Jun 21 12:52:45 PDT 2014

I sure remember the Happy Jazz Band, live from The Landing on the River
Walk in San Antonio, just across the alley from the Alamo!  They had a half
hour broadcast on WOAI, then clear channel 50k watts Friday nights at 10 pm
or so, and I tried never to miss it.  That was even before the River Walk
was the River Walk!!  It started my life time love of good Dixieland, a
tough gig during Beatle-mania and all that followed.  Who knew back then
that an ugly guy who can't sing could be a rock star?

WOAI could be heard all over back then.  I had enlisted in the Navy Reserve
as a Radioman and recall listening to the Happy Jazz Band on a ship pulling
into New York harbor on a Friday evening.

 I was a high school tuba player in the early and mid-60s and figured once
I had made my fortune I could come back and play in the Happy Jazz Band.
That didn't work out completely.  The Happy Jazz Band isn't there any more,
nor is The Landing.  All that is left are the memories.

Thanks for prodding those memories!

Jim Allen
New Braunfels, TX