[Dixielandjazz] Breda Jazz Festival 2014

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 15:54:10 PDT 2014

Last Saturday I returned from a trip to The Netherlands and Belgium, which
included the Breda Jazz Festival.
Unfortunately, it is no longer "Oude Stijl" (old style for those who find
the Dutch double).  Nevertheless, there was a lot of good music.
As most events are outdoors, there is a lot of sound overlap, in particular
since the more "popular" stages are very overamplified.
There were very few organized traditional bands, some unfortunately but a
pale shadow of their past glories!  In particular, there was one band I was
so eager to hear but found it sounding tired at its only performace (it was
such a great band in years past!).  I missed one band, since, despite my
working on int, I have so far failed to develop the skill of being in more
than one place at the same time.  Luckily, at least the Claus
Jacobi-Matthias Seuffert group played again the next day (with minor
changes).  I have already mentioned that Matthias Seuffert must be one of
the best contemporary reeds players, and he did nothing to disprove it!
Most of the good stuff (i.e. - OKOM) was provided by various Festival
Surprise Bands (or Quartets or soloists) "under the leadership of..." and
the "Jazz at the Castle Super Sessions under the leadership of Antoine
Trommelen."  There were other good sessions, too, such as 'The Sax of
France," a tribute to the music of BG and Charlie Christian, etc.  With
musicians such as one of my favourite pianists Joep Peeters, George
Washingmachine (violin), the French trumpeter Patrick Artero, the French
saxophonist Daniel Huck, or the drummers Eddie Metz and Vince Bartels, et
al, there was good potential which was not wasted.  And I had never heard
Tom Hook before.  And one should not forget the wonderful Eiji Hanaoke from
Japan!
There were excellent young musicians of whom I had never heard before: the
Aussie trombonist Shannon Barnett, French saxophonists Nicholas Dary (who
sounded all the way OKOM) and Nichoas Montier (who once or twice
deteriorated into "modern" sound, the young French Trumpeter Malo Mazurie.
Another two new to me were Thilo Wagner (German) on piano and Jenifer
Leitham on bass.  I liked her stage bearing, humour - when set to duet with
George Washingmachine at the "Duo Special" she announced that for that
particular performance she'd change her surname to Dryer - and swing!  A
thorough professional.
I missed most of the marching bands, including listmate's Bert Braansdsma's
Dixieland Crackerjacks, but luckily I heard and met him and Sliding Selena
at the evening jam session.  From where I was sitting I couldn't see most
of the stage, but I heard the big sound and saw the big horn, so I got
closer and there was Bert playing his bass sax, and Selan - sliding.  It
was nice to have a f2f with someone I've only known from emails.
The greatest drwback were the church bells, which rand every fifteen
minutes, and didn't swing!
And oh, that lovely Dutch and Belgian beer!
Cheers