[Dixielandjazz] Rip Up the Joint

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 15 00:55:45 PDT 2014

I have a feeling that as maybe though junior to some list members (i.e. even younger than some of you) I never in earlier reading encountered the word 'joint' as a common name for a Reefer -- there must be a start date for the currency of the term..

For a long time "rolling a joint" was what the butcher did when he removed the bones from a lamb shoulder and turned it into a parcel for roasting by retaining it in a cylindrical shape with some string

This has nothing to do with "They raided the joint" -- title of one of the more sublime performances by Hot Lips Page
One can just see the weed-head complaining there was only tobacco in his tobacco
Or a mythical dog disappointed there were no bones in his salvage of Sunday's dinner?

The Joint is Jumpin?  Neurological complaint?

Juke Joint?

Is Joint Stock produced by boiling cannabis?

As I recall "Rip up the Joint" as music does not suggest musically tearing a naughty cigarette to pieces,

more what is implied in Sleepy John Estes' "He's a tearing little Daddy!"

Oddly enough an uncompleted work of fiction by Wyndham Lewis was called "Joint" a century ago, Joint was the name of a character; and Lewis also referred to his less than ideally responsible father (of whom he saw little) as "the old Rip"

There must be various Rip and Joint titles in jazz, but I shall not for the moment search the electronic version of the discography I have.
Perhaps that could be a joint effort -- Let rip!

Robert R. Calder