[Dixielandjazz] Boswell-inspired groups with Vince Giordano tonight, NYC

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jun 13 10:26:26 PDT 2014

There's going to be quite a lineup at Vince Giordano's gig at Iguana in New York
tonight, Monday, June 2:
I will be there with Vet Boswell's granddaughter, Kyla Titus and the below groups
will be there and I hear will be performing, too:
The "Heebie Jeebies" girls: Memrie Innerarity, Nancy McCall and Audrey Lavine. "Heebie
Jeebies" was a Boswell tribute show which was in the works in NY from 1979 and eventually
ended up off-Broadway in 1981.
A String of Pearls -
http://stringofpearls.net/
DiGiallonardo Sisters -
http://www.reverbnation.com/DiGiSisters
Margi and the Dapper Dots (Tamar Korn, Martina DaSilva and Margi Gianquinto) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70dq00XNkEQ
http://www.iguananyc.com/special-events/
The harmony lingers on!
And it's official -- there are closing events for the Boswell exhibition currently
on display at the Historic New Orleans Collection. Dates are October 9-11 which includes
another coming together of various groups from around the world and this country
who perform the Boswell songbook. An idea which will be hinted at tonight and which
was also done back in Dec. 2007 when Cynthia Lucas (creator of the fan site,
www.bozzies.org
) staged the Boswell Centennial celebration in New Orleans on Dec. 3, 2007 -- which
was Connee Boswell's centennial birthday.
This coming October I will also be in the old hometown giving a presentation on the
Boswells' radio career using ultra-rare off-the-air audio obtained from the Boswell
family collection in the possession of Kyla Titus, which was only recently transferred
by Randall Riley of the Swing Shift in Austin. This collection includes several airchecks
from the Chesterfield show from 1932 including many songs the trio never recorded
(a sizzlin' "Mississippi Mud" is one that comes to mind). The Boswells had one of
those RCA home recording machines, and while they were at the studio, Mama Boswell
was at their apt. doing recording duty. It was this technology which gave us the
rare 1932 Andrews Sisters recording on which you can hear the young Andrews Sisters
warbling a la Boswell. Audio excerpt is posted here:
http://www.bozzies.org/mccain-andrews.php
The Boswell family collection also includes hundreds of disks that were in Connee's
collection of airchecks from her various radio shows of the 30s, 40s and 50s -- it's
an amazing collection. There are plans for making this available.
The PBS documentary, "Close Harmony" is still in the works. I had heard of a broadcast
date of December 2014, but that's not set in stone. And lastly, Kyla and I are fine-tuning
the biography, which will likely be self-published before the end of the year.
Yowzah!
Latest info is on the official website of the family collection and book:
www.theboswellsisters.com
.
And there's also the fan website:
www.bozzies.org
Harmonious greetings to one and all.
David McCain

-Bob Ringwald K6YBV
www.ringwald.com
916/ 806-9551

“We could certainly slow the aging process down if it had to work its way through Congress.” -Will Rogers