[Dixielandjazz] Louis Prima

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 13 08:24:00 PDT 2014

Long ago, in my reviewing days, I was not enthusiastic about a CD ragbag of "New Orleans" jazz sent to me.
There was Duke Heitger, and there was Wendell Brunious on great form, from the quartet date with Harold Dejan singing on various numbers.  And far too short playing time, that Dejan-Brunious CD !!!!

Louis Prima did however startle me, and I didn't care about his singing or Sam Butera or anything else because of his really impressive,  outstanding solo work on trumpet. I'd not heard a lot of him at that time. I hate to think of the man's considerable genuinely musical virtues being ignored on behalf of a showbiz and populist and superficial image.  As if he was an "entertainer" and the horn was a mere gimmick.

Here's to Louis Prima the trumpetmaster!

Robert R. Calder