[Dixielandjazz] FW: D Day

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri Jun 6 10:13:39 PDT 2014

The very last job I did with the U.S. Air Force Band at Torrejon (Madrid,
Spain) was a trip to the Normandy coast where we played at the ceremony
celebrating the 25th Anniversary of D Day at the American Cemetery in 1969.

We stayed at a French Air Base, as the French were still (barely) in NATO.
We visited St. Michaels, the town that is separated from the coast of France
during high tide, and the numerous beaches where the landings took place.
We visited the German bunkers, and could see for ourselves the difficulties
those beaches presented on that day.

During the tribute at the cemetery, I recall standing for 5 hours through
numerous speeches & our own music.  I remember mostly seeing a sea of white
crosses on a green lawn for as far as I could see, only broken by the
occassional Jewish Star.  Being at attention during the whole ceremony gave
me that view, and only that view.  We didn't take photos then like we do
today, but I don't need a picture to remind me of that.  It is clearer in my
head than all of the photos I have.

At the time I felt it was a fitting way to finish my 8 years of service with
the Air Force bands.  45 years later & it is now the 70th Anniversary of
that landing!   Time flies......

Jim
 p.s.

<http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675022075_D-Day-25th-anniversary_Omar-B
radley_Sargent-Shriver_Eunice-Kennedy-Shriver_Lawton-Collins>
http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675022075_D-Day-25th-anniversary_Omar-Br
adley_Sargent-Shriver_Eunice-Kennedy-Shriver_Lawton-Collins

I decided to Google D Day 1969 & found this short film. The band can be seen
in the very, very background but if you don't know what to look for it will
be hard to see us.  In the very distance, you can see the crosses I
mentioned in some of the film. There are thousands.