[Dixielandjazz] Hancock's NCJB (was "Test" on a lazy day.)

ROBERT JOHN SMITH robertjs at broadpark.no
Wed Jun 4 13:11:44 PDT 2014

I see that, on one of the photos accompanying the Colin Hancock video, Louis is playing a slide trumpet. As a trombone player I've tried playing a slide cornet. I found that the slide positions on the cornet (half the length of the trombone positions) had to be placed with significantly greater relative accuracy than the corresponding trombone positions. There were two main reasons for this as I found it, viz. moving the cornet slide doubled the frequency change for the same movement on the trombone slide, and the length of lips available for correcting pitch is c. half the available length of that on the trombone mouthpiece.

I was wondering if there are any of our members who regularly play a slide trumpet or cornet, and who can provide more information on any techniques to ensure the required greater accuracy.

Cheers,

Bob Smith