[Dixielandjazz] Kathy Stobart obituary

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Tue Jul 15 19:52:49 PDT 2014

Hi Guys,

I am one who enjoyed Kathy's playing with Humph at the Humphrey Lyttelton Club (not yet The 100 Club) in the late 1950s. Also, she was likely to turn up with other bands (often on baritone) around the jazz club circuit in the early 60's. A great swinging sax player who was very popular with jazz audiences. I always liked to see a woman mixing it so effectively with the guys because it was still quite a rare occurrence in those days. I am pleased to say the bands in which I play these days have plenty of swinging female sax players - also some trumpets and bones!

Vale Kathy and thanks for giving me all those hours of pleasurable listening in my youth in the UK. I think her jazz would have been described as Mainstream but it was sure OKOM to me!

Best,

Graham Martin
REDLAND BAY, Qld. Australia