[Dixielandjazz] Lennie Sogoloff R.I.P. - Boston Globe, July 14, 2014

Roger Wade rwade1947 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 15 06:39:26 PDT 2014

Not much trad jazz certainly but I remember seeing the Wilbur De Paris band at Lennie's in the mid 1960s and another trad group a different time whose name escapes me now.  Lennie was a great guy.  He would let me nurse two 75 cent Cokes all evening, appreciating that I didn't try to purchase alcohol with a fake ID.  He knew how to encourage young jazz fans.  The other thing I remember about Lennie's-on-the-Turnpike was the smoke.  It was tiny and the cigarette smoke really filled up the room by the end of the night.  How things change.

Roger Wade
Really Old Records

On Jul 15, 2014, at 9:18 AM, Robert Ringwald wrote:

> Not Trad Jazz, but an interesting news item.
>

> Lennie Sogoloff, 90; Ran Legendary Jazz Club Lennie's-on-the-Turnpike
> by Bryan Marquard
> Boston Globe, July 14, 2014
> For a club that would become part of jazz history in Greater Boston, Lennie's-on-the-Turnpike
> wasn't much to look at when it opened in Peabody in the early 1950s on the stretch
> of Route 1 known as the Newburyport Turnpike.
> "I used to describe it as 'early ramshackle,'?" Lennie Sogoloff, the proprietor and
> emcee, told the Globe in 1992.

Roger Wade
Really Old Records

http://www.reallyoldrecords.com