[Dixielandjazz] To All DJML Members

Paul Kurtz Jr kurtzph at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 21:32:36 PDT 2014

Joe, in the message below, takes a very wise course and one I would take were Facebook more accessible. Why? Because of this. In this truly information age where there’s an absolute deluge, information gets lost. On another list, I just found out about a group a trumpeter started that i’d never known about, even though I’ve known about that trumpeter for 15 years.

In the jazz world, I get a lot of info off of this list. i’ve found out, for instance, about the different uses of the banjo in Dixieland. I knew about different uses in bluegrass but learned more from a recent discussion. I learn about places, groups, sheet music, and recorded music. And private members including one of the moderators, have sent me messages on trumpeters of interest to me that have both given me a much better picture of jazz through the ages, but of the business of music.

Good information is the key here and yes, we always have to wade through comments not of interest to us. But, I just learn and learn and keep learning, trying to suck things up like a sponge. When I play, I play with more knowledge along with the feeling I play with and that adds to live music. We can’t beat what we have and because of some divisions among us, we sometimes forget the bigger picture of that information flow. I try never to.
Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL