[Dixielandjazz] Fletcher Henderson

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Tue Jan 28 12:55:58 PST 2014

On pages 86 and 87 of Walter C. Allen's book, "Hendersonia", both Henderson
and Don Redman remember that they had auditioned for a job at the Club
Alabam in New York City at the beginning of 1924. Both Henderson and Redman
agree that that gig was the start of the Fletcher Henderson Orchestra.
Although the details which they each remember were slightly different, the
key is that both remember that Henderson had a recording band prior to the
Club Alabam gig and a working band thereafter. The New York Times had an ad
for the Club Alabam on January 16, 1924 which named Fletcher Henderson and
His Orchestra.

Stan
Stan Brager