[Dixielandjazz] Anthropology - Bud Powell--video and book review

Norman Vickers NVickers1 at cox.net
Tue Jan 28 08:16:55 PST 2014

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans & DJML
From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

This 5+ minute video  from JazzOnTheTube  of pianist Bud Powell performing
in Copenhagen in 1962 is an excellent sample of his work and talent.

I have posted below a brief book review I did for the Jazz Society of
Pensacola's website in June. From my point of view, the definitive biography
of Bud Powell is yet to be written.  Most on the list will recall the movie,
Round Midnight which starred saxophonist Dexter Gordon. ( Gordon was
diagnosed with lung cancer when the film was made and he was nominated for
an Academy Award (didn't get it, of course, but it was an honor for a
Hollywood outsider to be nominated).  That story was roughly based on the
life of Bud Powell.

FYI.

Another subject:  MY COMPUTER CRASH--  lost addresses of some of you on the
Musicians & Jazzfans list.  If you want me to add your name to my
reconstructed list, then send me an e-mail to that effect.  Thanks.

Norman
_____________________________________
From: jazztv at aweber.com [mailto:jazztv at aweber.com] On Behalf Of Jazz on the
Tube

While appearing in Copenhagen with his trio during the early 1960s, Bud
Powell performs a number composed by bebop contemporaries Charlie Parker and
Dizzy Gillespie.

Video:

http://www.jazzonthetube.com/page/7820.html

- Lester Perkins
Jazz on the Tube

Send your friends to this link and tell
them what we do...

http://www.jazzonthetube.com/content/su1.html

_______________________
Book Review--  Bud Powell -
Posted by Norman Vickers on www.jazzpensacola.com

19JUN2013
Posted in Post, Reviews, Uncategorized | Leave a comment
Bud Powell, image
The Amazing Bud Powell:
Black Genius, Jazz History, and the Challenge of Bebop
By
Guthrie P. Ramsey, Jr.; University of California Press, pp. 242.
The author Guthrie P. Ramsey, Jr. is a professor of music at University of
Pennsylvania. His book, Race Music: Black Cultures from Bebop to Hip-hop,
was published in 2003. He has been visiting professor at Princeton and
Harvard. He's also an accomplished pianist and bandleader.
His current book on Bud Powell is well documented with end-notes, extensive
bibliography and photographs.
Powell had a brief career as brilliant bebop pianist. His behavior was
erratic and he had hospitalizations related to mental problems, including a
course of electro-shock therapy. He died at age 41 of tuberculosis,
alcoholism and related problems. Ramsey allots about one-third of the book
discussing details of Powell's career and, what little there was of it, his
personal life outside music.
The remainder of the book discusses some sociological and musicological
aspects of jazz history, racism and bebop. The author's effort is worthy.
However, this is likely to have more academic appeal and less so for the
average jazzfan.
My research informed me of Ramsey's blog Musiqology.com. I look forward to
following Ramsey's effort via this medium.