[Dixielandjazz] Fletcher Henderson (was where does Dixieland end?)

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Mon Jan 27 10:44:03 PST 2014

I hadn't realized that Henderson's was a recording-only band, so I suppose
it makes sense that they'd be in the studio every few weeks to knock out a
few more hits.

Bert's wonderful post does raise now another issue, as to why the stock
arrangements were structured the way they were; in the Jimmy St Cyr
memoires he also recalls the early pre-ODJB groups rushing to the shops for
the latest releases, and sometimes sabotaging other copies to prevent
competitors from playing the new material, and in this sense the lineup may
have been for pragmatic reasons, a minimum reasonable ensemble lineup that
might let a local territory band emulate the Whiteman full-orchestra sound
(Jimmy said the folios typically had about 18 parts)

So perhaps it is a case of Whiteman's stage-band/danceband industry merging
with the wild conversational chaos of the Dixieland band? (the judge did
rule that Livery Stable was exempt from copyright protection because it had
"no musical qualities"!) Is this what Benny Goodman was meaning when he
said that Swing arose from "cleaning up" the 'jazz' music?

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*