[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Mon Jan 27 06:07:27 PST 2014

An excellent and thoughtful response that I'm going to re-read a third time
in a moment, but in defence of the topic itself, far from academic, the
issue is entirely pragmatic! If we are to assert that we are hoping to
preserve and foster interest in something, doesn't it behoove us to define
what that something actually is?

And if it was replaced by a subsequent, or perhaps displaced, as happened
with the newer jazz with Kind Of Blue or Birth Of The Cool or Donna Lee,
then perhaps there is a historical watershed moment that we've been
glossing over. I'm just of the mind that spontaneous simultaneous disperse
genesis seems far more improbable than humans following some clever lead
Alpha Ape ;-)

And at risk off splitting the topic, does anyone else other than me find a
parallel to Dixieland in the Miles Davis quintet with Wayne Shorter? At the
time the jazz journals were agog with this'new' notion of ensemble improv
that really seemed retro to me.