[Dixielandjazz] Using popular tunes

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Sun Jan 26 11:05:10 PST 2014

last summer we were invited to play on the grounds at a big
minor-league baseball tournement and had great response to our
spontaneous take on Take Me Out To The Ball Game, and then at a
wedding the bride had hinted that 'their' song was Earth Wind and
Fire's 'September', which turned out passably well we though (although
no one asked for one more chorus ;)

I'd be hesitant to rule out any song; I remember hearing in a pub a
recording of Earl Scruggs and his sons doing a bluegrass rendition of
the old 80's Devo hit, "Mongoloid", and there's not a great jump
between Scruggs-style bluegrass and full-tilt dixieland.  Charlie
Parker is often quoted for saying, "There's only two kinds of music,
the music you like and the music you don't" but I like to amend that
to say "There's the music you like and the music that you yourself
would play differently!" :)

I've even heard Pete Seeger play the final movement of Beethoven's 9th
symphony solo on the banjo!

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*