[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Stephane Grappelli Day

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 09:10:14 PST 2014

Hello folks,
The issue of repertoire has been discussed on this list more than once.
The bands of old played currently popular tunes, some which have eventually
become overplayed-to-death warhorses.
In the  liner notes to one of my Kid Thomas CDs I've read that Thomas would
bring the music for currently popular tunes for his band to learn and play.
The tune on today's Jazz on the Tube is the reason I'm forwarding it -
Gappelli and Taylor play Sevie Wonder's "You Are the Sunshine of My Life,"
and it sounds great!

The other day I listened to the Modern Sound Orchestra's "Dixieland
Party."  Dixieland?  Certainly.  And the onely warhorse is "Frankie and
Johnny."  The other tunes are hardly known (although not current pops: they
are described as "traditional," arranged by the band member Jackie
Sprangers).
Cheers