[Dixielandjazz] Body and Soul - Johnny Guarneri

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sat Jan 18 12:11:41 PST 2014

 Robert R. Calder wrote:

There are various reports of Coleman Hawkins, still leading his big band, and imbibing startling amounts of brandy during an interval, starting Body and Soul in B natural....

The very same key in which Johnny Guarnieri started to jam on or immediately before the official date, when "Waitin' for Benny" was unofficially recorded ---

(snip)

Knowing the great pianist Johnny Guarnieri, I can imagine him in a recording studio waiting for Goodman. Johnny was never one for sitting around – He wanted to play.

The first time I hired him to be a guest star at our STJS (Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society), He was supposed to play the 3rd set, after the two warm-up bands. Between the first and 2nd set, Johnny got up unannounced, climbed up on the stage, sat down at the piano and proceeded to play.

That is the same day he wowed the audience by playing the Maple Leaf Rag in 5/4 time.

Also, he asked for a request from the audience. A lady requested Sweet Lorraine. Johnny proceeded to play it with just his left hand. Unless you were a musician and listening very closely, you couldn’t tell that he was using only one hand.

Half way through the song, people began standing up and pointing out this fact to fellow audience members.

-Bob Ringwald