[Dixielandjazz] Origin of "Taps"

Ken Gates kwg915 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 08:43:41 PST 2014

To--DJML and Jim O'Briant

Jim correctly points out that the story of the origin of "Taps" that
accompanied the link to the beautiful trumpet solo by
a 13 year old young lady is not accurate.  It is more likely that the
origin came about as shown below by a military historian.
I passed the link on because of the breath taking beauty of the
embellishment of the three notes of a major triad that is familiar to us
all.  That, not the origin of the note sequence, is what I consider the
focus of hearing the solo.

Ken Gates

According to "24 Notes That Tap Deep
Emotions<http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.west%2Dpoint.org/taps/Taps.html>"
by Master Sergeant Jari A. Villanueva of the United States Air Force —
probably the most authoritative military historian to turn to with
questions about the history of "Taps" — this bugle call was sounded at a
burial for the first time in July of 1862, during the Peninsular Campaign
of the Civil War of the United States.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.west%2Dpoint.org/taps/Taps.html