[Dixielandjazz] provocative piano

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 28 21:25:15 PST 2014

I wonder what long-ago Dick Hyman with Enoch Light would provoke?
(link to PROVOCATIVE PIANO     on sepia records CD provided by listmate)

Relief at the time on the part of his financial advisers, I imagine.

Admittedly I prefer this stuff to his roughly contemporary performances on synthesizer

and other electronica or indeed what Humphrey Lyttelton called electric stomach;

but I did wonder when long ago (not all that long ago) I found all that stuff uploaded to

a webpage for free probably illicit downloading, well, why?
After such stuff had its vogue suddenly mass market pop became more exciting,

and it has not so much stayed exciting as stayed the same, disguised by delusions of novelty --
and the musical virtues displayed by unprovocative pop and light classics were less recognised

and never very much anyway, background muzak

I hope Dick doesn't mind these recordings being called banal --
since then he certainly has recorded a lot which is anything but banal

Robert R. Calder