[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz (British) and the piano

Jerry Brown jazz1jerry at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 23 04:20:55 PST 2014

A reverse story on bad pianos. A number of years ago Art Hodes and Wild Bill Davison were playing a venue here in Norwich. The piano had been tuned a couple of days before but looked as though it had been through several world wars. Battered to put it mildly and well marked with many beer glass rings. Before the gig and whilst the place was still empty Art looked very worried but walked over sat down, lifted the lid and started to play. After  a few moments he put the lid down, got over and walked back towards us still looking concerned. Thankfully his first words were, "that's about the best piano I have played all tour." Relief all round! During the evening he even played duets with his wife.

Jerry

Sent from my iPad