[Dixielandjazz] Bum Pianos

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Sun Feb 23 01:21:25 PST 2014

There was great difficulty with Jazz From A Swinging Era when Earl Hines tried to take over as leader ( the group was a democratic band of stars). Earl assumed the role of compere, and this annoyed the others, particularly Roy Eldridge, who was particularly inflamed. In Paris he decided to walk out of the tour because of Earl, and it was only when Buck Clayton managed to soothe him down that he agreed to complete the tour. (It was Buck who told me this).

Steve Voce

Sent from my iPad