[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz (British) and the piano

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 15:56:30 PST 2014

Hello Ken,
Your email remings me of two things:
First - Keith Nicholls' remark (at the 1984 Edinbourgh festival)  "amazing
how soon jazz festival pianos die; this one died an hour ago," and
Second, the story about Art Tatum playing a piano with two keys missing,
while Oscar Peterson, hired to follow him  in a few days, was in the
audience.  Tatum told the landlord that the piano was out of order, and
that although he, a seasoned veteran, could play it, his young replacemtn
might not be able to do so.  The landlord protested: what do you mean out
of order?  I had it compelety repainted a few weeks ago (frop memory, not
the exact words exchanged).
Cheers