[Dixielandjazz] Spanish hours

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 13:11:47 PST 2014

My son owns a bar in Tel-Aviv, not Madrid.  He opens around 9PM, and for an
hour or so the volume is passable, and customers are few.  The real work
starts around 1 AM, and the place stays open till 4-5 PM (until the last
customer).
As to culture - wahtever foreigners say, national habits and cultures are
very unlikely to change, whether we like it or not.
As to the British censoring the Spanish habits, many years ago our leading
humorist and satiricist Efrayim Kishon wrote about trying to make a film in
England, and the working habits there seemed very similar, except that
instead of siestas the Brits had prolonged tea breaks.
Jazz places in Britain don't stay open very late, though - tha lst time I
was there, the Hornchurch Jazz Club ended its sessions around 11PM.  At the
Bude festival it was later, but festivals have rules of their own.
Cheers