[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz (British) and the piano

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 12:57:52 PST 2014

Hi Ken,
Jerry has already provided a partial answer.
Most Colyer bands had a pianist; some had not.
But the fame of the Barber band and its influence on European  (and, to a
lesser extent, even American) have spunned the notion that typical British
trad bands were pianoless.  And it was Barber who organized the first
Colyer band with which  the latter played and recorded for a short time.
Actually, the only other pianoless band I know is Bob Oliver's, which
features two banjoes instead!  There may be others, not well-known.  But
all the other British bands of renown have pianos.
Cheers,
Marek