[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz (British) and the piano

Ken Gates kwg915 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 09:07:22 PST 2014

While sorting out my old LPs and wondering what to do with them,
I noticed several 10 inch disks.  Two of them had to do with early
British trad bands.The "New Orleans to London" was, of course
Ken Colyer.  Apparently recorded after his return from New Orleans
of March of 1953--according to the liner notes.  Personnel were--
Colyer, Sunshine, Barber, Donnegan, Bray, Bowden (Ron).  NO
piano---which the liner notes found to be noticeable.

The other LP was recorded in July 1951 at the "British Festival of
Jazz Concert" with six bands including one number by the the
Crane River Band led by Ken Colyer.  ALL six bands had a piano.
Crane River pianist was Pat Hawes.

Sometimes I hear mention of British Trad as being mostly without
piano.  I'm now wondering if this is mythology.  I'm asking for some
knowledge as to history of piano in this jazz style.

Surely Ken Colyer didn't return from New Orleans with the notion
that "pure" New Orleans jazz was to be played without piano.
Not after the Bunk Johnson/George Lewis recordings with piano
by Alton Purnell.  But maybe the informal sessions he played
with George Lewis and others while in New Orleans were
mostly without piano and he got used to that sound?

Ken Gates