[Dixielandjazz] Early recordings by "Black bands"

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 14:31:16 PST 2014

I apolgize.  It happened in WWI, not II.
I know about the black aiforce unit.
In the American army, there were negro combat units.  After WWI, an
unprecedented wave of lynching swept throug hthe US south - the sothern
whites' way of telling the Negroes that their killing of whites in Europe
was no really appreciated.
Not sure it has much to do with jazz.  But jazz was less segregated.
although Nick La Rocca was accused of racism, the ODJB's first clarinet
player of choice was a Creole.  Sure, he could, and did, "pass," but he was
fraom New Orleans and his bandmates knew.  On the other hand, some white
musicians hired to record with Fats would not sit in the same room with him
and grumbled about having to work "with that nigger" (in the depression
days when any gig should have been welocme).
Cheers (jost back from another Dancing Camel jam, and two pints of
excellent beer brewed on the premises)