[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland v. Trad Jazz

Les Elkins leslie.r.elkins at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 07:07:09 PST 2014

One of the things I heard at the New Orleans Traditional Jazz Camp a couple
of years ago was an instructor saying "'Dixieland' is music played by old
white guys, too fast, with no soul". I *think* that was said tongue in
cheek, but I didn't follow up on the comment....

(Discussion of appropriate tempos for tunes is another can of worms, but I
have let that comment percolate for a while and it has, to a large extent,
moderated my idea of the ideal tempo for most tunes. When I'm the one
counting them off, anyway.)

-Les Elkins

--
"NEVER use a maj7 chord in any bar that is named after a deceased
NASCAR driver, a large-calibre firearm, or an intoxicated farm