[Dixielandjazz] Early recordings by "Black bands"

Dixiejazzdata dixiejazzdata at aol.com
Mon Feb 10 20:38:18 PST 2014

Anton and All:

I stand corrected in my loose lipped statement, I was speaking in generalities of the times, passed down to me from Black Jazz musicians, over the years as at least their interpretation of the White Label and black band recording situations.   I am not a historian  or researcher  by any means, like my good and respected  friends  Anton, Crouch  and Bill Haesler.

And I have heard the Keppard story many times  from my longtime Black musicians.   They say he was not the only one to refuse to record for the same reasons at that time.   Many of the Black musicians wouild not do so because they wanted people to come and hear them live .   Turns out that was not such a bad idea after all, since now many people stay home and listen to their records and do not go out to support Live music any more.    :))

Cheers,

Tom Howler Wiggins