[Dixielandjazz] they make me proud

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Feb 10 10:26:40 PST 2014

Last nite, after a gig & a shower, I sat down for my (after) mid-nite snack
& a bit of tv, and began watching the end of a movie that was on.  It was
"Hannah Montana" with singer Miley Cyrus.  I was taken in by her voice....
pure & strong.  She was singing a ballad, without the usual dancing, etc.
Seems her dad is a well-known country singer.  I know she's had a few
scandals floating around her lately, but my attention was on her talent.

So often we hear about the negative side of young people, but I constantly
run into a younger crowd that is hard-working, astute, and quite often very
talented (in many fields).  I work closely with several national television
stations, and the tech guys there are very, very knowledgeable & anxious to
do well.

My own kids exhibit that also, and I always think of them when singing the
last 8 bars of "What A Wonderful World".  I know, I know, there are many
musicians that think the words to that song (& the song itself) are stupid.
But, "I hear babies crying/I watch them grow/they'll learn much more than
I'll ever know" always gets to me.

Do a Google search for Adam Kashishian.  I can't even understand the title
of the papers my eldest son has written during his studies into cancer
research!  His team has developed a drug for lethal childhood leukemia which
is now in its final stages of testing for approval.

I'm proud of my own kids, and most the kids I run into.  Bodes well for the
future.  I love seeing the young kids come into our gigs, and love it even
more that they stay & enjoy the music!

Jim