[Dixielandjazz] dressing up

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Sun Feb 9 14:18:13 PST 2014

Interesting take, but Sun Ra himself said the uniforms were part of the
music, and that the tradition of flashy costumes for band members was a
long standing tradition in black culture.  So if he was rebelling, he was
only do so so as to conform to the past.  Also, the musicians were
*required* to wear the 'space' uniforms; Sonny was not known for his
tolerance of insubordination.