[Dixielandjazz] dressing up

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 06:03:53 PST 2014

> The fact that Count Basie was seen on stage in shorts has little to do with
> us "normal" folks.  When you're that big, you can come on stage however you
> like.  The audience is already there because of who you are.

It was a jazz festival, not a Basie concert (I believe that for concerts in
halls he dressed more officially), and  most musicians were casually
dressed.  There were exceptions - Bud Freeman was very neat, and the
Wallace Davenport Band appeared in dark blue suits.

>  If you're a
> normal type of talent, then you usually have to win your audience.  The
> audience sees you even before they hear you, so the first impression is
> important.

At verious festivals I have seen musicians variously dressed, and I do not
recall an instance when music was judged on the basis of the apprel, not
EVEN striped jackets and trousers or ridiculuos waistcoats and derby hats.
I, as you know, am on the audience side.  Planning to attend the Bohem
festival organized by listmate Tamas.

Cheers