[Dixielandjazz] uniforms

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Feb 9 01:56:54 PST 2014

How many of you have read Humph's "I Play as I Please?"  A hilarious book,
well worth reading.
In his book Humph mentioned that, when the band becamo pro and appeared in
suits, one person said something like (quoting from memory) "I'm going home
and sit with my records!", he was so disgusted with the uniformed
appearance of the musicians.
When I saw Count Basie in Nice, he, certainly a successful professional,
played wearing shorts and a skipper's hat.
It takes all kinds