[Dixielandjazz] Queenie Pie

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 3 00:19:48 PST 2014

Somewhere I have a doubtless hissy old cassette recording from radio of what was I suppose the final serious Duke Ellington Orchestra led by Mercer Ellington. It might even include a performance of an item called Queenie Pie Reggae, which was performed by the same band as on the broadcast, when they were in Glasgow for a one-nighter.  Perhaps it was properly recorded... elsewhere.

Britt Woodman was I think in the band, and a trombonist and saxophonist pair of brothers of lengthy middle-eastern name, the saxophonist also part of the Dizzy Gillespie band on a DVD of a visit to Cuba.  The man who did the Johnny Hodges items turned up also in those balmy years with Nat Adderley during a Glasgow Jazz Festival...  At the end of the 20th century.

AsI recall, Mercer introduced Queenie Pie Reggae as Duke's final composition, it included more than one percussionist but I think rather less gear than Sonny Greer has all to himself in old photos with the young Hodges.

But the Mercer band was some time back, and dearie me I can say the same of the band under a next generation Ellington, which was mighty impressive -- Lordy, Lord and that was 2000, already.
And that band was featuring a lot of FAR EAST SUITE material, which oddly enough was the latest album and well featured during the last Hodges visit to these parts -- as well as various items from the New Orleans Suite, which wasn't then on record ...  Memorable

Robert R. Calder