[Dixielandjazz] Popular Songs as Poetry, 70s style

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 23 20:43:20 PST 2014

 Charles Suhor wrote:
>> Do the lyrics of popular songs qualify as poetry?
> I totally agree with Bill Haesler that the lyrics of best of Tin Pan Alley and Broadway Musical songs of the 20-40s had an urbanity and depth that can stand alone as poetry, though they're fully realized when well sung.
Then:
> It's interesting that explicit claims for lyrics as poetry grew in the late 60s and early 70s, the years of hippies, war protests, Black Power, and of course, Sex, Drugs, and Rock&Roll....

Dear Charlie,
Thank you.
Unfortunately, when the 60s came along and that different generation initiated 'Poetry and Jazz' sessions, they lost me.
Musical improvisation behind a poet's words is quite a different thing.
But then, I'm not a poet - and I knowet.
<big grin>
Happy Christmas and kind regards,
Bill.