[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz!

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 07:53:04 PST 2014

Yesterday afternoon (1-4PM), some friends and I went to hear Jerron "Blind
Boy" Paxton with Eli and the (augmented) Chocolate Factory at Hoodna in Tel-
Aviv.  This time, we came in force - there were ten of us.  It involved a
cover of $15 (for seats) or half that (standing room).  Light refreshments
could be bought; drinks could be purchased at the bar.
The washboard player was replaced by two drummers (one at the beginning,
than replaced by another one), Merton Cahm played soprano sax' and, after a
while, Itamar Schatz (an Israeli musician currently residing in NYC) joined
on tenor sax.  Towards the end, Eli Marcus (guitar) sat in for two numbers.
The joint was packed!  Ages varied from the very young to over 70.  Some of
the swing dancers came, even though there was hardly room to move!
The group gave a rousing performance.  Wow!  Hot and swinging throughout,
with a varied repertoire of warhorses and some not overplayed standards.
Paxton was very much a revelation.  Heretofore, because of the nickname,
I've always identified him with R'n'B, and he is indeed a blues singer who
accompanies himself on banjo and guitar.   But he is also a wonderful, hard
swinging, two fisted pianist.  And a pretty good singer.
Some people even danced in the four square inch area available!  Only the
two bartenders could really dance - there was more room to dance behind the
bar than on the floor.  And those two girls seemed to have the time of
their life, when not disturbed by customers who wanted another beer.  In
short, we had great time!
Some of our friends had Newcastle Brown Ale, which was on tap.  I stuck to
the Jerusalem Shapira pale ale.
Cheers