[Dixielandjazz] Golden Hour of Steff

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 2 15:55:20 PST 2014

I have been looking at me copy of Bruyninckx's discography and suspect you'd need something better and bigger, and probably a copy of THE GOLDEN HOUR OF STEPHANE GRAPPELLI to hand to work out who plays on what, since I can't find a couple of the titles -- it seems to be a compilation drawn from there and there (here is not obvious) prepared for the wider market which helped fill the theatres in which I saw and heard the great man. I suppose I would also ask about instrumentation first, too, or offer Marek a scan of the pages and pages of Steff's discography.

I seem to remember one company associated with the selection in question did long ago produce a Johnny Dodds LP with one or two titles where there was some question whether Dodds was on them. On most tracks he certainly wasn't. It was Mostly Jimmy O'Bryant on clarinet.

But Steph did record an enormous amount!
Robert R. Calder