[Dixielandjazz] Job Offer

Paul Kurtz Jr kurtzph at comcast.net
Wed Aug 27 14:34:22 PDT 2014

OK, we’ve had this discussion on this list, on the trumpet list, and in private conversation with many of my musician friends. Now, there are certain things I’ve decided to do because i chose to do them. I play for free with 2 501C3 musical bands because they play at schools for kids and at nursing homes. Do the staffs (or staves or whatever you want to call them) from these organizations make money? Certainly. Most of them are paid employees. But, for the sakes of the people there, I play. Do my groups get paid by some of them which helps us buy music and not have to pay band dues? Yes.

But! That minor league baseball team and its people are a for-profit aggregation. Have i every played for a baseball game for free? Once with the Minnesota Twins baseball game to publicize International Trumpet Guild (ITG). But, nobody within the organization asked me to do that; it was a Trumpet Guild activity to highlight our conference and bring publicity to the organization. And yes, there’s a Youtube or 2 out there of us.

But, this baseball team, as ours does here in Jacksonville, FL, gets support from the city, probably gets a cut on electricity prices, sells popcorn, hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. and makes a profit. The business owners are in it for profit, not as a public service.

So, bottom line, they should and can pay something. Yes, they’re used to school groups and others who want to get publicity. I saw some great school choirs and such sing the National Anthem in Atlanta stadium earlier this summer with the Atlanta Braves. Whether their organizations, schools, etc. got paid, I don’t know; I doubt individuals did. But professional musicians should get paid unless they themselves decide to do otherwise.

Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL